BASIC IDEAS WHEN PICKING UP A STICK
for the first time
When starting floorball the main things to look at are:
- You have a top hand and a bottom hand on the grip, if left is your top hand then youre a rightie and if its right on top, then youre a leftie. Most players are lefties in Europe, however in Australia there are mostly right handersan even balance of lefties and righties on a team is advantageous.
- Your top hand is dedicated to stay on the stick otherwise you get really tangled up, tackled easily and learn the wrong technique for most skills.
- When tackling other players for the ball, go for the ball. A swinging style tackle will be considered slashing.
- When shooting and passing, most of your power comes from behind your back foot as you stand side on to your target. Starting your pass or shot near your front foot will cause the ball to rise.
- When shooting or passing remember the ball is just 23grams, a mobile phone is 80grams plusit does not take much to move this thing.
- If the ball is even a couple of cms off the ground, get used to using your foot, and definitely do not bang the ball down into the court as it will bounce even higher.
- Have fun